The 6th Belle II Starter Kit Workshop
This workshop will introduce new collaboration members to Belle II and in particular to the software stack required to start your work.
This workshop will be purely virtual and has a strong emphasis on self study, while we support you in several ways.
What am I signing up for?
After a kick off meeting at the beginning, you will be following a set of hands on lessons that are currently being built in this sphinx chapter (this is currently work in progress, so don't expect too much to be there as of now).
During this time, we offer office hours every day that are available for you to discuss with us.
To provide even faster help, we will closely monitor several help channels on b2chat. If you get stuck, you can expect to get answers within several minutes.
Finally, on Friday, we will offer small-group mentoring sessions. These sessions don't have a fixed topic. Instead you have 2h of time to ask anything about Belle II and its software and of course spend more time solving some of the problems you encountered.
What will I learn?
- Basics of HEP analyses
- Software basics: SSH, bash, python, git
- Your first steps in basf2
You can already check the chapters of the sphinx chapter to get a rough idea.
Please make sure that
- you have a working DESY account (Belle II User registration as linked here)
- you have a working KEKCC account
- optional fallback: you have a working NAF account
- optional (for grid training): you have a working grid certificate
- If you have no experience with bash, python, etc. this will be a lot of material for you to digest! We strongly ask you to block the entire week for this training, so that you have time to complete everything to make the most of this opportunity!
- If you sign up for the mentoring sessions, we expect you to show up! We kindly ask you to not cancel later than October 1 (unless of course there's unforeseeable circumstances)
- This is the first instalment of this type of workshop. We're currently working hard to get everything ready till then. What we ask in return is that you give us ample feedback about what we can improve! If you're stuck somewhere, it's our fault until proven otherwise ;)
Q & A
- Is there a limit to the number of registrants? No.
- When will the registration close? One week before the workshop starts, but please sign up as soon as possible so that we can accurately plan. Of course you can still profit from the training material.
- Can I modify my registration? Yes, till the end of the registration period.
- Does it make sense to sign up even if I don't attend a mentoring session? Yes, just so we can brag about the number of participants.